Dr. Zipporah Ali (Zippy) is the Executive Director of Kenya Hospices and Palliative Care Association (KEHPCA). She previously worked as the Senior Medical Officer for Nairobi Hospice for 16 years. She has Maters Degrees in Public Health (University of Nairobi) and Palliative Care (University of Dundee)
Zippy is involved in advocacy and awareness on pain relief and palliative care in Kenya and globally. In her leadership role as the Executive Director for KEHPCA, she has been instrumental in fostering strong relationships with the Ministry of Health to integrate palliative care into government hospitals. She has also been instrumental in advocating for palliative care to be integrated in undergraduate medical and nursing curricula in Kenya and is a strong advocate for cancer prevention, control and treatment and was instrumental in developing the first National Cancer Control Strategy and the National Guidelines for Cancer Management-Kenya. She plays a big role in palliative care and cancer research in Kenya.
She serves on the board of several organizations including; International Children’s Palliative Care Network (ICPCN), Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance (WHPCA) and ehospice, Kenya Network of Cancer Organizations (KENCO), City Cancer Challenge and Alzheimer/Dementia Kenya. She has previously served on boards of the International Hospice and Palliative Care Association (IAHPC), African Palliative Care Association (APCA), Kenya Cancer Association, Hope for Cancer Kids and St. George’s Secondary School .
- June 2018: Doctor of Law Honoris Causa-University of Dundee
- May 2018: International Humanitarian Award-Women4Africa
- April 2018-Social Impact Award for the Sub-Saharan Africa region-British Council
- June 2012: Honorary Doctor of the University – Oxford Brookes University
- September 2013: Individual Advocacy Award by the African Palliative Care Association and Open Society Foundations